Nature Play - Outdoors & Adventure Play Tips
When we slow down to the speed of nature we often find a calmness and focus that comes with it. This calmness gives us as adults and our children the time and head space to engage with the world around us.
Climb the TREES, Squelch in the MUD, lay down and watch the CLOUDS move by or the STARS at night, run through the RAIN and swim in the WATERFALLS, resetting our energy and bringing peace to our minds.
Sometimes it's nice to cozy in doors in front of a 'screen', on these times i love finding interesting shows, documentaries and YouTube tutorials that inspire our children to think creatively, learn about animals, people, cultures, food and the diverse range of plants and lands around the world.
When we put ourselves in front of screens, we are (at that point) only the observer, Children and ADULTS learn so much everyday by DOING! Exploring, Problem Solving, Challenging ourselves, finding Peace within our natural surroundings and having FUN through play.
- Weaving with Palm Fronds
- Whittling with wood
- Use broken twigs to create a birds eye view dolls house plan layout
- Play tic tac toe with rocks and leaves
- Use seeds for counting math
- Learning to tie knots
- Make all sorts of amazing crafts with leaves and flowers.
- Build outdoor cubbies with fallen branches
- Stack rocks into art pieces, mandalas and mosaics with creativity, amazing balance and focus!
- Make decorations with Clay
Outdoor music sessions are an absolute blast!
- Hitting different natural objects together to explore different noises. Hitting leaves, versus rocks, logs water or sand all make different sound.
- A branch can transform into a dragon to ride
- A stick can be a magic wand
- Or a bit of driftwood can become a fairies boat.
At Earth Toys we love promoting Nature Play and supplying quality tools that can enhance, facilitate and inspire those lovely experiences.
- kids gain a lot of confidence and autonomy from being physical and engaging with the world around them.
- Improving their balance, strength and flexibility.
- Learning and pushing the limits of their bodies allows kids to gain more of an understanding and appreciation for their body and its capacity.
- It is very important to learn how to fall over from a young age! Pain from pushing themselves too far allows kids to learn to regulate themselves better, minimizing harm and damage done going forward.
Earth Toys has a range of outdoor adventure tools available for exploring and learning from the world around us!
- Binoculars, Compass, Whittling knives, Utility tools, Microscopes, Field Magnifiers, Bug Boxes, Pulley Systems and Bird Houses and more!
There is amazing health and immune boosting benefits with getting the kids get outside with bare feet on the earth, sun on their back, the wind in their hair and listening and observing the birds in the trees!
We have found that when we grow our own food from scratch with the kids, taking them through the entire process from seed through to plant to real FOOD that our 3 children have such pride in that journey and appreciation for GOOD food that they love to eat anything that comes out of their home veggie garden.
If you live in the city and can't get outside as often as you would like then you can still immerse and educate your children about the JOYS of Nature through our collection of books.
"But if while you're there, you want something to enhance that experience then we will happily set you up with a Flying Disc or a Kite that will fly well and set you up for a positive experience as a family!".